The way you begin your day is so important, but you know what’s also important? How you end your days.
Routines + rituals are the important anchors that guide us throughout our day. Often times when we think of a routine, a morning ritual can easily come to mind. This is because we have been taught over + over how important a morning routine is. How we start our day essentially is the forecast of how our day will go. But routines don’t just start + stop with morning time.
Nighttime routines have proven to be just as vital as the morning time. How we prepare ourselves for bed can dictate how well we sleep + our bodies ability to rejuvenate while we rest. Recently I began to dig a little deeper into my nighttime routine by adding Golden Milk to my evenings before bed during these cold winter months.
Now I’m not known to have a sweet tooth, but I have been guilty of grabbing a snack after dinner before bed. Adding this soothing evening drink that promotes relaxation, while helping my tummy digest has actually curved my desire for the late night snack leaving me pretty satisfied before bed. The biggest bonus is all the amazing benefits + nutrition that is packed into 1 tiny delicious drink.
Golden Milk is considered a traditional Indian drink with deep roots in Ayurveda (“The Science of Life”); simply put, this is a blend of hot milk + nutrient dense spices.
I love golden milk at bedtime because of the calming abilities of the star ingredient, Turmeric which helps with digestion. I dont know about you, but gimme all the things that will help me sleep better at night!
Now while a quick google search will bring up a plethora of various concoctions of recipes, there are a few starting players/ingredients that make an appearance in even the most common mixes.
Typical Starting Line Up:
- Turmeric: This Super Spice has been used for centuries both inside + outside the kitchen. Commonly used for various ailments such as digestive issues, joint pain + even beauty regiments for skin. This antioxidant is also antimicrobial, loaded with the ability to fight off free radicals including the common cold. (* cough cough, its still cold + flu season). Has the ability to detoxify the body while purifying the spirit.
- Ginger: This heating root is amazing for upset stomachs. It has the capabilities to relax muscles + is an anti-inflammatory making it a wonderful addition to help sooth the throat or cough. Natural relaxation promotion helps reduce anxiety.
- Cinnamon: Antioxidant that is known to calm inflammation. Antimicrobial, making it an amazing addition for autoimmune conditions.
- Honey: Antioxidant rich + has the ability to help lower blood pressure. Honey is also known to help reduce cough symptoms which helps with sleeping through the night.
- Coconut Milk or oil: Not only is coconut milk an anti-inflammatory (notice a theme here?), but it is also an antioxidant. A healthy fat that strengthens the immune system + helps the nutrients to be absorbed better.
- Almond Milk: Heavy in magnesium, which promotes muscle relaxation to help you ease into a good nights sleep.
- Cardamom pods: Antimicrobial infection fighting machine! Has the ability to aid in digestion and is also anti-inflammatory. Can also improve oral health.
So there are many variations + recipes to create your own Golden Milk. Ill even admit that my Golden Milk has varied depending on what spices I had on hand + the flavor I was in the mood for. Ive added pinches of Cayenne, Peppercorns and even vanilla. Like so many other recipes, this is one that evolves with you based on what you need. Dont be afraid to get in there an mix it up! Add your own twist + create your own Golden Milk.
Things to keep in mind: any kind of milk can be used for Golden Milk, although Ive only personally used Almond + Coconut. This also can be made with just Almond Milk, the coconut milk is for the “creaminess” of the drink + the added healthy fats etc. Golden Milk can be made in advance but it is best when made fresh.
Below is my go to Golden Milk Recipe (2 servings):
- 1 cup plant based milk
- 1 can coconut milk (Ive used both full fat + light, both work)
- 1-2 tsp Tumeric
- Freshly grated ginger (1/2-1tsp if using powdered)
- 1 stick of cinnamon (1/4-1/2tsp if using powdered)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- few cracks of fresh black pepper
- 2 tsp sweetener of choice
Combine all of the ingredients into a pot and bring to a healthy simmer (not boil) + allow to heat up for 10ish min until warmed all the way through.
Take off burner + taste. Adjust the flavor as needed if you need more sweetener or want more of a kick. Add to your mug and top with a little bit more cinnamon and enjoy!!
As I mentioned, there are so many recipes for Golden Milk + for good reason too. It is packed to the brim with amazing nutrients making it an extremely healthy + healing drink, not to mention all of the ingredients that call on relaxation right before bed.
Hands down one of my FAVORITE ways to prepare for a good nights rest.